August – September 2012 activities
Sakala is engaged in these 3 categories of programs.
Sakala Health Score
Health check with focus on Dental & Eye & treatment to school children.
Sakala Dignity Project
AAA Program – Awareness programs on Menstrual Hygiene.
Collaborating with NGOs, individuals & Business to derive benefit for the underprivileged.
Sakala arranged a Dental health check up camp for 35 children at Kasturba Gandhi National Memorial Trust on 23 September, 2012. Dr Madhu Vasepalli, Master’s in Dental Sciences [MDS] conducted the camp and distributed tooth paste and tooth brushes.
Poor dental health in India
Did you know?
Half the Indian population does not use a toothbrush; only 51 percent of people surveyed said they regularly brushed their teeth using a toothbrush and toothpaste. Only 28 percent of participants said they brushed their teeth twice a day and 34 percent said that brushing their teeth once a day was sufficient for good oral health.
Sakala arranged the donation of a specially designed Wheel Chair to Gandhi Hospital, Secunderabad. Designed by an MIT Engineer in USA and imported from USA the product is greatly appreciated and welcomed by Dr Abhijeet of Gandhi Hospital.
This donation has come from Rotary Community Corps, Hyderabad Urban.
Sakala is preparing for the import of 100 wheelchairs to distribute to Hospitals and NGO Homes with the help of Rotary International and Rotary Community Corps Hyderabad Urban and a host of individual donors.
Wheel Chair donation:
As an individual donor, your contribution will add to the 40% out of 100% of the cost of the 100 Wheel Chairs.
These specially designed wheel chairs are light weight, durable, easy to repair. Don, a mechanical engineer and inventor by trade, a Columbia University graduate with a Ph.D. from MIT, working in the biomedical field has designed this wheel chair.
Collaborating with NGOs, individuals & Business to benefit the underprivileged.
Traffic lawlessness in Hyderabad is frustrating. What can we do about it? Here, certain traffic rules are formulated by Hyderabadis like overtaking from extreme left to right, sending text messages while driving a two wheeler. Gradually these are becoming ‘default’ traffic rules for Hyderabad.
INDIA Redefined [www.indiaredefined.org] and Rotary Community Corps, Hyderabad Urban have done a pilot by making the drivers take a pledge ‘I am proud to follow traffic rules’ at Osmania University area in Hyderabad.
Rotary Community Corps wishes to take this up on a larger scale with participation from High School, College Students .
Sakala is promoting Biomass Smokeless Stoves to slum dwellers in Hyderabad.
These are manufactured by Vidyadhara Budhiraju of MicroGreen CleanTech Foundation, Mumbai. Demonstrations at slums at Saidabad, Hyderabad. KARE Trust is partnering with Sakala to introduce these stoves in the poor localities in ‘old city’ of Hyderabad.
Smokeless Biomass Stoves
Persistent indoor air pollution in the form of domestic cooking fire smoke is one the most common and most urgent health issues the world over. The health effect of domestic cooking fire smoke is estimated to be about 10 times as deadly as tobacco smoking worldwide. Annually, about three million people are killed and about 30 million exposed to long term health problems and disability the world over. Women, children and infants amount to about 80% of the casualty figures. About one third of the global human casualty figures come from India, representing a horrific and widespread fact of poverty. Vidyadhara Director, MicroGreen CleanTech Foundation
Sakala Dignity Project
AAA Program – Self sustaining enterprise model for distribution of sanitary napkins
We are preparing the content on Hygiene, Dental, Eye Care in the local language.
Also contacting angel investors, corporate for distribution of Sanitary Napkins through NGO channels.
- Raghunatha Rao Hyderabad – Canon 3 in 1- Printer, Scanner, Fax. [Rs,9000]
- S.A.P Sastry –Hyderabad- Scooter – TVS Scooty 2003 model [Rs 6000]
- S.A.P Sastry –Hyderabad Water cooler [Rs2000]
- Endless Designs – Chinna Satya , Hyderabad – Sakala Logo Design [Rs.10,000]
- Shobha, Bangalore – CE logo Design & Sakala stationary designs.[ Rs.10,000]
- Padnanabha Sarma Kovvali, Hyderabad – Sakala.in and Coment.in domain registration [Rs.3500]
- Surekha Tandra – Dellas Texas Rs. 1000.
- Vira Komarraju, Hyderabad Rs. 4000
Rajitha Jangam- 4 weeks preparing Business Plan for Sanitary Napkins sales in RR District, Hyderabad
Santosh Kumar Krankot – 4 weeks preparing Business Plan for Sanitary Napkins sales in RR District, Hyderabad
Rimjhim Singh- 60 hours in content preparation, coordination, visits to NGOS and vendors.
Tarun Kovvali, Mumbai – two weeks designing and layout for Sakala, Community Enterprises WordPress blog.
Anna Christina, Secunderabad – 2 weeks –co-ordination, visits to NGOs & vendors.
Debolina Mujumdar, Hyderabad – 1 week – Fund rising, strategic planning
Dr.Vishwanath – Hyderabad – 1 week – Planning, conceptualization.
Do you wish to get involved in Sakala Foundation work?
- Volunteer time from a remote location also, for requirements like content development, web designing, communication, social media initiatives.
- Donate for a Wheel Chair.
- Fund for printing of Dental Hygiene, Eye Care, and Menstrual hygiene training material and hand outs.
- Donate spectacles for needy school children.
- Bring Hyderabad based Dentists, Ophthalmologists, Ophthalmic Assistants, and Para-medical assistants as volunteers for a few hours a week.
- Fund salaries for “Girl Mentor’ ‘, Women Mentor’ [Menstrual Hygiene], Ophthalmic Assistant, Dental Assistant, Co-coordinator.
- Donate for transportation _____________________________________________________